- Reading and writing are the most important skills any child will learn in their school as they will allow children to access other subjects and increase their enjoyment of learing.
- Reading is taught using synthetic phonics throughout EYFS and Key Stage 1.
- Through Key Stage 1 and 2 children are taught comprehension skills through real books and experiences.
- Every class has whole class sets of books to read for enjoyment and develop vocabulary.
- Visual Literacy plays a big part in developing reading and writing skills throughout the school.
- Writing skills are taught using various strategies including VCOP and SUCCESS.
- Children are encouraged to love reading and books through fun and lively texts.
- School library is stocked with new fiction and non-fiction books and children are encouraged to change their library book every week.
- Using Ruth Miskin Literacy (RML) synthetic phonics scheme.